Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Misting your Tillandsia Air Plants

When I talk about misting, it is important to note two things:

1st, Just a casual misting is not enough. The plant must be wet, not moist. Mist over every part of the plant, top and bottom of leaves paying close attention to the tips as well. Make sure the plant is completely moistened.

2nd, Misting will increase the humidity for a very short time. To maintain a higher humidity level you can place standing water close to your plant.

Keep in mind that while misting is an important tool, it does not replace a good soaking.

Visit Air Plant City to download the pdf of this post and many others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been doing exactly as you say, and now one of my plants has produced a tall, fast-growing sprout (I don't know the correct word for this colorful growth) which in turn produced a tiny white flower with two hanging pods, which I assumed held seeds. To my surprise, another sprout sprang up next to the first, and its flower produced not just two pods but a tiny glass-like ball, which has now collapsed. Maybe the seed was in there? My question: if these are seeds wanting to grow in the base of the grass-like plant, I hesitate to soak the plant, though I continue to mist it. What do you think I should do? Thank you for your advice!

Cathy said...

Do you know the name of your airplant? I would love to have a picture. The sprout is called an inflorescence but I have never seen a little glass looking bulb on any of the flowering plants I sell.

Seeds are extremely hard to propogate with air plants. They require much care, time , and perfect condition. Most tillandsia produce pups after flowering so no need to grow the seeds. Continue Misting as you have been, just don't over wet the flower itself.

If you have pictures would love for you to upload them.